06 fevereiro 2012

Slacker, Fantasist or Striver?

I tend to be a slacker-fantasist when the road ahead is not clear or I have misplaced my Flag. I fantasise about striving for heaven on earth in its infinite concrete meanings and impacts on the various dimensions of my life. I then proceed to slacking by surfing the web, going to the movies with the pseudo-amateur-film-critic cap on, blogging, loosing time in the bath and building lego. I’m not always slacking when I do these things, but they are the preferred activities for it. 
I do strive for self-awareness and do so with particularly acute irony at times. I also tend to steadily strive to make others smile or laugh as this is the ultimate bastion of hope that I might defeat the lesser fantasist-slacker within me. I do sing. However I do not exactly strive at this as doing it in a manner pleasing to others comes at relative effortlessness. I also fare relatively well in the seas of the English language. I do not strive at it either as per the above mentioned reasons. 
This is why I have many ideas about many things and think more creatively than sometimes others do but then feel the hangover of having done nothing about it. This includes deciding “good idea but not for this moment in my life”. I'm your proverbial "almost guy"
If worrying about these things were to be considered striving, then you might think of me as a striver. If not, then you know where to find me: smack in the middle of my comfort zone. 

PS: In a hopeful way, I will argue, agreeing with the article, that people are a mixture of the three archetypes, but adding that this mixture may vary throughout one’s life.
PS2: the article you might need to read in order to understand what the hell am I talking about is linked in the text but just in case you missed it, jump to "Are you a striver, slacker or fantasist".

Sem comentários: